Rector for the University of the Faroe Islands
Are you able to head research and higher education on an international level? Can you lead 144 staff and faculty, 1000 students, and 24 academic degrees? Do you have a strong academic foundation?
The University of the Faroe Islands is looking for a University Rector with extensive management experience and in-depth knowledge of both academic research and higher education. The position is fixed term: 5 years.
With direction from the board, you will manage all operations of the University. You have the responsibility to ensure the institution fulfills its obligation to society by maintaining research and higher education of international standards. You are also tasked with strengthening the University’s position as a leading knowledge centre in the North Atlantic.
The Board will consider the following qualifications when filling the position:
- You have management experience and thorough knowledge of academic research and education.
- You have vision, think strategically, fulfill goals, and can evaluate these.
- You have great communication skills and are articulate.
- You are trustworthy and have a high sense of integrity and loyalty.
- You have a strong academic background and university teaching experience.
- You protect academic research freedom and ethics.
- You are able to cooperate with other research institutions and the private sector, both domestically and internationally, and leverage this to secure further funding for the university.
- You readily resolve problems and welcome challenges and make decisions, even when difficult.
- You see diversity as strength and can network and cultivate complex collaborations.
The position is salaried according to the 39th level in the directive between Tænastumannafelag Landsins and the Ministry of Finance. The position does not receive “public servant” benefits. Retirement pay is 15%. There is also a “non-retirement pay” bonus for fixed-term positions.
APPLICATION AND DEADLINE
Applications are due May 28th, 2019. The University Rector position begins September 1st, 2019, and the position is limited to 5 years, until August 31st, 2024.
More information about the position can be had by contacting Ólavur Ellefsen, Chairman of the Board of the University of the Faroe Islands, at telephone number +298 556600.
Application with academic diploma(s) together with other pertinent documentation should be sent to Ólavur Ellefsen at email: email@example.com. Inquiries and applications will be processed confidentially.
The University of the Faroe Islands is a university and research facility. The University of the Faroe Islands furthers education and research on an international level and aims for socially sustainable development and innovation. The University of the Faroe Islands is a visible and effective participant, laying a research foundation under cultural, social, and business enterprises. The University of the Faroe Islands joins other Magna Carta Universities
in protecting research freedom for the individual academic scholars, and encourages a culture of cooperation, curiosity, and independent search for new knowledge and information.
The University of the Faroe Islands is an independent public institution, which functions independent of the political system, as directed by law.
The University of the Faroe Islands has 24 academic degrees, approximately 1000 students, and over 140 staff and faculty. The University is primarily publicly funded through an allocation from the national budget. In addition, there are several projects outside funding from the Board of Research, the private sector, and others.